martes, 18 de diciembre de 2012

reading and listening

We are going to do some work today. You are going to listen to a song and then read the lyrics

 Somebody that I used to know in  a version by Matthias Harris  (Thanks a bunch Marta)

Then you are going to do several excercises:

1st. Find these words in the text: /eɪk/, /rʌf/, /ðəʊ/, /hʌŋ/, /wɜːd/

2nd. Find a word or words that mean the same as:
-sometimes
-to have a clear meaning and be easy to understand
-say, pretend
-finish
-(idiom) to drop your moral standards far enough to do something bad or unpleasant
-stop having a friendly relationship with someone

3rd. "Have your friends collect your records and change your number
 I guess that I don't need that though"
Do you think you could express this idea with a different connector?

-"But had me believing it was always something that I'd done"
Can you tell me why the author has chosen this tense and not another?


5 comentarios:

Eva dijo...

There is a mistake, in the second paragraph, before sadnes, it should be "kind of sadnes", not "kinda sadnes"

Marta dijo...

Those are the results for number one:

/eɪk/- ache
/rʌf/- rough
/ðəʊ/- though
/hʌŋ/- hung
/wɜːd/- word

The teacher. dijo...

well done Marta!

Poppy dijo...

1. Sorry but I don't find the phonetics symbols in the computer:
/eik/=ache
/raf/=rough
/dou/=though
/han/=hung
/we:d/=word

2. -sometimes=now and then
-finish=stop, was over
-stop having a friendly relationship with someone=you didn't have cut me off.

3. Though could be expressed with however??? I'm not sure. But if we don't use it here the meaning doesn't change.

David G. dijo...

2. to drop your moral standard... to stoop